Human Rights Innovators highlights hundreds of key figures who fought for human rights around the globe. These informative, in-depth biographies feature those activists who fought to end slavery and discrimination, promote the rights of women and children, and those whose mission is to promote peace, freedom and equal rights around the world.
Human Rights Innovators features 208 biographies of activists, writers, environmentalists, lawyers, philosophers, political leaders, scientists, and Nobel Prize recipients who have had an impact on human rights initiatives since the 1960s. Biographies represent a strong multi-ethnic, cross-gender focus.
Each biographical essay averages 4,000 words in length and offers standard reference top matter: Name; Birth & Death Dates; Primary Field; and Synopsis of Historical Importance.
The text of the essays is divided into the following:
Early Life provides facts about the individual’s upbringing and historical context;
Life’s Work, the heart of the article, consists of a straightforward, generally chronological account of how the individual gained recognition, emphasizing their most significant endeavors and achievements;
Sidebars explore significant developments in a specific organization or group that the individual was most affiliated with;
Personal Life includes post-achievement activities or positions, family life, and topics of general interest;
A Further Reading section accompanies each essay providing a starting point for additional research.
In two, information-packed volumes, this title profiles notable figures, such as:
- peace Activist and 2011 Nobel Peace Prize recipient, Leymah Gbowee
- civil rights activist, Chen Guangcheng
- neuroscientist and activist, Sam Harris
- executive director of the Kensington Welfare Rights Union, Cheri Honkala
- author and activist who spearheaded the Occupy Wall Street Movement, Kalle Lassn
- anti-rape activist, Chouchon Namegabe
- activist, John Prendergast
- anti-racist writer and educator, Tim Wise
- minister and activist, Lennox Yearwood
- and many, many others.
Special features include an Annotated Timeline, Website Directory, Category Index, and an Index.