This new edition of Critical Survey of Graphic Novels: Independents & Underground Classics offers nearly 250 essays covering graphic novels and core comics series, focusing on the independents and underground genre that form today’s canon for academic coursework and library collections. While there is very little “underground” aspect of this genre, the independent collection has seen remarkable growth since the previous edition.
New titles added to this edition include:
- Boxers & Saints, Gene Yang
- Paying for It, Chester Brown
- Day Tripper, Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon
- The Best We Could Do, Thi Bui
- My Favorite Thing is Monsters, Emil Ferris
- Young Frances, Hartley Lin
- This One Summer, Marika Tamaki and Jillian Tamaki
- Marbles, Mania, Depression, Michelangelo and Me, Ellen Forney
A “first” in the field, the Critical Survey of Graphic Novels series focuses on all aspects of the graphic novels genre, aiming to establish it as an important academic discipline and research topic in libraries. Designed for academic institutions, high schools, and public libraries, the series provides unique insight into the stories and themes expressed in historic and current landscape of the graphic novel medium.