In the more than 200 years since its inception, the U.S. presidency has survived controversy, scandal, resignation, civil war, and assassination. Every individual who has assumed the title of president has left a mark, for good or ill, on American history. This most recent edition of American Presidents examines the strengths and weaknesses, the successes and failures of each chief executive, from George Washington to Barack Obama.
This most-recent, two volume edition presents 44 essays on the life and politics of the U.S. presidents, all arranged chronologically by administration. Each essay begins with ready reference information followed by a comprehensive portrait of each president and ending with an annotated bibliography.
Each essay beings with ready reference information:
- Administration number and years (e.g. "7th President, 1829-1837)
- Birth and death dates and locations
- Political party
- Vice presidents
- Cabinet members by department
The text that follows offers comprehensive portrait of the life and times of the president, from birth through political ride, election, term of office, defeat or retirement, and death. Topical subheadings help guide readers through the material. The legacy of each administration is measured against the yardstick of U.S. history, and the evolution of the office and country can be traced clearly. Every essay ends with a current, annotated bibliography and is signed by the author.
All entries also include boxed sidebars on first ladies and vice presidents, as well as historic primary documents-such as the Declaration of Independence, the Monroe Doctrine, and Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation-and excerpts from famous presidential speeches. Additionally, over 250 photos, a detailed timeline, a reprint of the U.S. Constitution, official election results, and more appendices are included to round out this informative reference work.
New additions to this title include:
- Barack Obama has been added
- Recent presidents have been revisited and updated
- Every essay has been reviewed for accuracy and currency
- Bibliography has been updated to include the latest scholarship
- All appendices have been revisited and updated
- Dozens of new photographs and illustrations have been added
- Now includes FREE online access